Friday, September 16, 2011

How I Design: Rough Sketches (2/6/11)

I don't see my designs completed in my head. That is, there is no complete picture and then I draw it out, rather I think in terms of parts, of ideas. I then find elements that fit with those ideas, as I draw and sketch them those elemental parts and ideas begin to flow and join into forming their own unique structure, their own design that belies the sum of the meanings that have been added together to create the piece, yet they continue beyond their own sum to create a new element, a new design that has an originality that can never be duplicated for the energy and meaning within the piece can never be duplicated.
I can't see the design before its made. I don't start with an answer and create the formula, rather I create the formula and like a child on Christmas morning unwrapping their first gift, eagerly await the answer.
I don't thong of a finished dish. I start with ingredients, thinking of how they go together, then create the recipe, and like the recipient can't wait to taste the final dish once my chefs have finished preparing it!
Basically, I pull together all the feelings, thoughts, symbols and story, put it together and step back, letting the story of the piece create itself. In a way this parallels the story of life: we live, we experience, and it is not until the end when we can put together our choices and their consequences that we can say this is the life lived. The Greeks saw the passing of time not as a river that flows before us, rather as a wave that cascades over our backs, and only after it has crashed over and passed us by can we see the wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment