Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pushing Daisies - A tribute to Pandora

I had a customer who was with the studio before I decided to create the studio, was with me while I was in the beginning stages of its creation, and was sad when we were leaving.

Recently she had gone to many jewelry stores looking for a pendant of a cat. After many 'salesman' pitches, the same generic pieces, and lack of creativity from 'custom' jewelers, she sent me this following e-mail, she didn't know I had decided to keep the studio open:

"Justin,

I am really feeling the need for a new piece of jewelry. A yellow gold pendant to go on a rope chain. I like hearts and flowers, but I don’t want it to look too commercial. Looking for that unique piece I know you can create. Any ideas? I never thought I would miss your creativity so much, but I have been to several other jewelry stores and their selection is generic, their prices are too high and they don’t seem to care.

Please help,

Paige S."

We set up an appointment and today she came in. I have decided, with her permission, to share the creation process. First, the inspiration:

Paige's cat Pandora recently passed away. Pandora was a big part of Paige's life, her presence was comforting to Paige as she went through a difficult time. Paige had Pandora cremated and will be putting her in the flower bed. Paige always said the cat smelled like flowers, and now Pandora will litteraly be 'pushing daisies' and playing around the garden. Pandora had green eyes and liked to sleep a lot.

Now, the concept:

Daisy with cat pendant. Naturally shaped daisy, the size of a quarter, with naturally shaped and irregular petals, with checkerboard cut citrine center with vivid yellow bezel. Naturally shaped cat poking its head out of the side with green sapphire eyes and long whiskers which come outside the circumference of the design. 14k yellow and 14k palladium white gold. 22k plated center bezel. Hand fabricated.

The rough sketch:

I will continue to post photos and notes as we work through the fabrication process.

This is my first time sharing the intimacy of our process, thank you Paige for willing to share a beautiful facet of your heart!

With Everything,

Justinder

No comments:

Post a Comment