Thursday, February 17, 2011

Alpha and Alumina

Apparently I do a terrible job of keeping track of all our advancements. Even though I haven't finalized my writing about what we are doing to be Toxin Free and Conscious, I'm going to start posting up the little things to remind myself of what I've done.
Yesterday, I ordered our new Platinum polishing compound. It is a three stage compound of varying grit we put on the buffing wheel to give platinum the finest shine and polish. We used to use a highly toxic polishing compound made with aluminum oxide and animal tallow (the, um, other parts of animals that don't get eaten, gross). The new compound uses Alpha Alumina, a more stable form of Aluminum (which is still toxic), and bees wax as a binder.
This new compound has a much lower chance of entering the blood stream when inhaled as it is more stable than the aluminum oxide, which is a type of salt and easily enters the blood stream, even through the pores in our skin. Plus, it's nice knowing we're not using animal leftovers. Regardless, our polishing system is enclosed to prevent the inhalation of any dust which is harmful in and of itself.

Always trying,

Justinder

No comments:

Post a Comment